Emel Ersan Law Office - Immigration Law

Recent Posts

Happening at the border
Push to Have Immigration Judges to Deny Asylum to Victims of Violence
An upcoming vote on 2 bills next week
New Policy Memorandum for F, J, and M Nonimmigrants
USCIS Updates Policy of DNA Evidence


20,000 Citizenships in 1 month
2016 Election adn Immigration
Beware of Scams
Citizenship Disaster - Live and Learn
Citizenship Pitfalls
Consent to Reapply: New Procedures
Democrats Complain of Deportations
Deportations in 2015
Deportations in 2017
Deportations Increase
Deported Noncitizens in 2013
Deported Usually a Threat to None
Don't Forget to File For Removal of Conditions!
El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala
Even After Judge Orders You to Be Deported...
F, J, and M nonimmigrants
Green Card Holders BEWARE!
Green Card Holders Traveling Outside US
Green Cards
Haitian Family Reunification Parole Program
High Priced Attorneys Are Not Better
Hillary and Immigration
How to Properly Identify Immigrants
Hundreds Detained
ICE Arrests
Immigration Arrests
Immigration Court is Not For Amateurs
Immigration Law
Latino's Singled Out
Lawyer vs. NonLawyer Help
Obama's New Immigration Law Shut Down
Obama's New Law
Obama's New Law- A Summary
Obama's New Law- An Opinion
Obama's New Law- Update
Old Convictions Arrests
Pope Talks Immigration
Provisional Waiver
Self-filers disaster stories
Terrorism and Immigration
Travel Ban
Trump and Immigration
Trump's Arrest of Overstay Immigratnts
Trump's Ban
Trump's Budget Increase for Deportations
Trump's Cell Phone Tracking
Trump's Executive Order
Trump's Policies
Trump's Wall
Türk İmmigration Avukatı...Öneriler
Using the Internet As Help
powered by

My Blog

Green Card Holder Wants to Travel Outside US for More than 3 Months...

Hi this is Immigration Attorney Emel Navarro.


If you are a green card holder and you want to take a trip outside the US.


You have to be very careful:

to keep documentation about the reasons for their trips abroad, as well as evidence of ties they maintained in the US while outside the US.


If you spend more than 4-5 months outside the US, the US may consider that an abandonment of your residency here and try to cancel your green card.


How would they do this? When you return, the Immigration officers at the border (passport control) may ask you many questions, keep your green card and give you a letter saying that you have to fight to keep your green card at Immigration Court.


Even worse, sometimes they make you sign papers to “abandon or give up your green card” before you are allowed back into the US.


So here’s what you need to know if you are traveling out of the US for more than 3-4 months and you don’t want to lose your green card:


Bring with you the following papers:

 Pay US taxes as a Resident Alien (instead of Non-Resident Alien)

 Own or rent property in the US; pay utility and other bills for that property

 Have (and use) US credit cards

 Have (and use) bank account(s) in the US

 Maintain close ties with family members in the US

 Maintain employment in US

 Document that any work abroad is temporary

 Avoid traveling on round-trip airline tickets that originate in another country


If you intend to travel outside the US for more than 3-4 months, you can also get a “ re-entry permit” which will allow you to stay longer without having this problem. Talk to your Immigration lawyer about it.

One more advise, if the people at the border pressure you to sign papers making you abandon your green card, refuse to sign it. It’s better for you to get a paper saying you have to see the Immigration judge at a later time then admitting that you are no longer a resident.


15 Comments to Green Card Holder Wants to Travel Outside US for More than 3 Months...:

Comments RSS
cartier on Friday, January 30, 2015 12:21 AM
This unique label maintain a pool of standing of increasingly being appropriate not to mention solid as well as nowadays bought from Swatch Business enterprise.
Reply to comment
Best Taste of Indore on Saturday, August 20, 2016 6:10 AM
Thanks for this informative post! I really liked it!! Loved your post and bookmarked your blog link so that i will read all your posts !!

Andy on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 1:00 PM
Reply to comment

Dolphin Cove Jamaica on Saturday, February 21, 2015 4:44 AM
Hope that it is a opportunity for green card holders. Who has gotten the green card he/she can travel for three month.
Reply to comment

replique montre tag heuer on Saturday, August 15, 2015 3:25 AM
GCCI sacs a main ESOT 2011 GCCI sacs a main fo ESOT 2011 ae cassic et ight sinscrivent dans le pcoming sping 2011 sac a main tendance FOM les Nways a New Yok, Pais et Mian. Outre une poignee de particuliers, ces engins - des Saxo, Partner, AX, 106, Berlingo ou autres - ont ete acquis par des institutions comme les collectivites, les municipalites (La Rochelle, Bord imitation montre x, Lyon, Paris), les ministeres - notamment celui de l'Interieur - et surtout par des entreprises publiques: 1 500 pour EDF et 600 pour La Poste. Il ASO ECAS le temps quil a passe comme dauvent dans un des Chinatown de taios de Vancove.
Reply to comment

martin on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 7:07 AM
hello,executive luxury cars it is affordable and reliable service provide in UK.All vehicles are latest models and include top of the range specifications ready to fulfil your executive chauffeur needs.
Reply to comment

YOUNG NGUYEN on Sunday, November 29, 2015 2:59 PM
Comment: I think it’s really good news for the green card holder. But from my sconce, time is too short. My uncle, who is living in USA a green card holder can’t pass more time with us. I think; the authority of USA should extend the time. Thank you.
Reply to comment

go compare travel insurance on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 1:56 PM
Great article!! I must say this is a great post. I have read your last two blog posts on the same topic, those were excellent too. Keep it up and keep posting blogs on related matter.
Reply to comment

Todd Peterson on Sunday, March 06, 2016 6:39 AM
I'm also a green card holder and I want to go outside for traveling. I think this site provides good suggestions about documentation issue. Thank so much for this helpful information.
Reply to comment

Anonymous on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 12:54 AM
Reply to comment

www.rushessay.com on Friday, September 09, 2016 11:28 AM
This blog has given so many articles to travel outside US for more than three months. This is only for green card holders from the country. So that type of people must read the following articles.
Reply to comment

London agencies escorted travel on Saturday, November 05, 2016 4:46 AM
Yes, I am in agreement with this that green card holder wants to travel outside US for more than 3 Months. As a USA citizen I want to go outside for traveling. London is the best place for travelling. Thank you so much for sharing this post with us.
Reply to comment

MCX Normal Calls on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 5:49 AM
Thank you for posting such a great and valuable information regarding Green Card Holder Wants to Travel Outside US for More than 3 Months.
Reply to comment

dfgfdg on Thursday, March 02, 2017 12:05 PM
Reply to comment

London agencies escorted travel on Monday, April 24, 2017 10:26 AM
Hi I am also in agreement with this that green card holder in USA wants to travel outside USA for more than 3 Months. i am planning for it. Will go to London a best location in UK.
Reply to comment

Add a Comment

Your Name:
Email Address: (Required)
Make your text bigger, bold, italic and more with HTML tags. We'll show you how.
Post Comment
Website Builder provided by  Vistaprint